Monday, July 21, 2014

191st MI Detachment in Paju-ri


Forty years after I was in Paju-ri, I met the editor of a Korean language newspaper in Los Angeles. He published this article:


The middle two men in the back row were Americans; I am not in the picture as the article incorrectly states.

Here is a translation of the original article.


The newspaper published a follow up article:


Here is a translation of the follow up article.


Here is the photo of the interpreters:

Back row: Yu-ssi, Joe Ahsing, Lt. Salisbury, Charlie Oh
Front Row: Louie, Lee, Mr. Kim


Within days after the articles were published, I learned that Yu-ssi was in San Diego, Louie was in Houston, and Mr. Kim was in Virginia. I learned that Charlie Oh was deceased and Lee was still in Korea.

We met with Yu-ssi, and his wife Joanne, Yu-ssi had worked for the State of California, perhaps in a tax related department. They had three sons, and one daughter. He went into a nursing home in July 2006, and passed away in April 2009, at age 80. He was active in a Christian church and used Thomas as a first name.






And with Louie, who was running his own business in Texas, and his wife.



And I exchanged correspondence for a while with Mr. Kim, who sent me photos, articles, and a book.

Mr. Kim in Virginia

Mr. Kim in Paju-ri

Mr. Kim and Pak Chong-hee

Mr. Kim meets with D.C. Police Chief

I never had any direct contact with Lee, but I did receive this email from his son.



Here is the detachment shortly before I left.

Wade Ishimoto, front row, right, went on to become the Intelligence Officer in the Delta Force attempt to rescue the Iranian hostages.


My roommate was Thomas S. Ballou, RIP.

The compound from above:



If you were in this outfit in the sixties, please leave a comment.

Here's the 191st area in Google Earth today.


.o0o.









8 comments:

  1. GREAT PHOTOS OF OUR INTERPRETERS AT THE 191st......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone know of a SPC Peter John Brandon? His dd214 says that he was in 191st MI DET 69-70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad, would have, but he never talked about it.

      Delete
  3. My grandfather served with the 191st in 1958. He recently passed away and i am looking to make a shadow box. I can not find much information on unit history. I need to know what their unit insignia was. Pictures of him show 8th army but I need unit crest etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 191st MI Detachment was part of the 502nd MI Battalion assigned to the 8th Army in Korea. It was "detached" from the 502nd, and "attached" to the 1st Cavalry division. The 1st Cav patch was a large yellow field, with a black line, and a horses head. (The horse they never rode; the line they never crossed; and their true colors.) When the 1st Cav went to Viet Nam, they were a helicopter outfit.

      The Special Agents in the 191st wore no rank; to appear rank neutral, they wore Department of the Army Civilian (DAC) patches just like the Donut Dollies.

      The supporting officers and enlisted men wore 8th Army patches or 1st Cav patches.

      There is a photo of "Mr. Kim in Paju-ri" which shows a "crest" in the background (CUESTOS FIDELITATIS.) This is the only image I know of that might be what your looking for.

      Delete
    2. Same experience here, finding out much is like pulling teeth or more painful, truly. I got a break, including citations for medals we did not know about from writing the army historian, through info. from .gov website. You can also file a FOIA request as researcher family member(didn’t help me). I suggest Fold3 website. Best form of info. If like me you knew nothing when starting about military lingo, it’s a ruff go. Buckle up. If I can help (limited)- I will. Just reach out. I spent years searching my dads service. 191st MI Company team 3, Airmobile (detached), 1st Calvary.

      Delete
  4. My dad, Donald (Don Welch), of Colorado- was 191st M.I. Company, team 3, Airmobile (detachment). 96B20 Fort Holabird, Intel Analyst. Sadly, we do not know much of his service, in country Sept.1969-70. Died, 12/30/2017 of service related agent orange as stated by the VA findings. My dad was not on VA benefits, disability, or any assistance. He worked hard his whole life. Literally. He raised us as a single dad, since my mom couldn’t remain faithful or sober. Bet it was a struggle, coming back from that hell. My dad, will always be my hero. So, too are each of you men / woman serving. Though, knowing what we know now, I know I wouldn’t allow my boys to go fight for this corrupt system. Fairy Tales, nothing changes. Let them send there sons and daughters to the next war they create. Then, we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I served in the 191st from Aug 60 to Jan 62. Fond memories. Later looked up Lt. Col. Denis, CID Mac, and Gary M.

    ReplyDelete